Friday, October 5, 2018

BULLYING EXCERPT ~ SPORTS DAY (14 YEARS OLD IN 1963)

    After the school sports day was all over and all the dignitaries and parents had gone home, the school detentionees were left to clean up the mess and bring all the folding chairs and tables back to the school yards so they could be loaded into vans,
     About an hour of fetching and carrying chairs I was just about sick of it. there was only about a dozen chairs left. I did not feel like walking all the way across the sports field to get them. Just then, I spotted a  boy who was struggling to carry 4 folding chairs the remaining distance across the field so I went over to him and said,
"Give me 2 of your chairs and I'll carry them for you."
"Fuck you, go and get your own.", he said.
"I've already carried more than you have.", I said. "And I'm not walking all the way over there again." 
     I took two of his chairs off of him and started to carry them the rest of the way. The boy got really angry and threw his 2 chairs on the ground.,
"Fuck you Swindells!", he said. "I'm going to tell Mr. Clayton on you!"
     He ran off and that was the last I expected to see of him. I carried the2 chairs over to the stack and then went back to pick up the 2 chairs the boy had thrown down on the sports field.
     As I was carrying the 2 last chairs back to the yard, I saw the boy and Mr. Clayton coming across the field towards me. Between myself and Mr. Clayton was a small group of teachers who were still standing around and discussing what a great day it had been. I met up with Mr. Clayton right next to the group of teachers. As I approached him he said to me,
"Swindells!"
"Yes sir.", I said.
"You took 2 chairs off of one of my Form boys."
"Yes sir. There weren't any more chairs to carry."
"Why didn't you look for some more chairs Swindells."
"I already told you sir, there are no more chairs to carry except these ones."
     The next thing I remember was a tremendous bang! I flew through the air backwards and then everything went totally black. I had no idea whatsoever what hit me or how long I was laying on mi back on the school sports field. The only thing I remember was when I was coming back into consciousness, my head was in tremendous pain. As I tried to open my eyes and sit up, the small group of teachers were spinning around and around and their faces were all blurred. The body felt like it was 500 pounds. My elbows just gave way and I fell backwards again.
     I remembered 2 of the teachers who were in the small group had put their arms around me and were trying to sit me up.
"Are you alright Swindells?" said one of them.
     My eyesight was very blurry and I still felt Like I was floating in fluid. A minute or so later I heard one of the female teachers say,
"How could you do that Mr. Clayton?"
     Then another teacher said,
"Mr. Clayton, indeed, hitting a boy so hard!"
     That was all I needed to hear.

No comments: